Strength & Ease Psychotherapy was founded in 2018 by Rebecca Tedford. Rebecca believes every individual comes with his/her/their own unique experiences and needs, and created a practice to help adults and couples heal from painful experiences.. We utilize an eclectic set of modalities tailored to each person or couple, focused on building inner resilience, reducing anxiety and depression, and improving relationships. The therapeutic work is informed by the science of attachment, and is interactive, relational, and experiential.
Meet Our Team
Rebecca Tedford, LCSW, PMH-C, Certified EFT Therapist
Founder and Director, Strength & Ease Psychotherapy
Rebecca approaches her work with a strong foundation in the science of attachment and has extensive experience in crisis intervention and trauma-informed care, including EMDR. She is certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy through the International Centre for Excellence in EFT. In her work with couples, Rebecca is attuned to and tends to the needs of the relationship while helping each partner learn how to reach and turn toward the other. In addition, she has a certification in perinatal mental health, informing her support of individuals across the fertility and postpartum spectrum. She believes safe, secure relationships are the most healing across the lifespan. Her style is inviting, safe, and relational, with a sprinkle of irreverence.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (VA license #0904009997, NPI #1851816003)
- Perinatal Mental Health Certified – Postpartum Support International
- Certified in Emotionally Focused Therapy and lifetime member of the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Trained in EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) for trauma-informed care
- Master’s in Social Work – New York University
- Bachelor of Art in Psychology and Spanish – Drew University
To work with Rebecca, please contact us to schedule an initial appointment.
Julie Hannay, Master’s in Counseling intern
Accepting private pay clients for individual therapy
Julie comes to this work as a former birth and postpartum doula, where she was honored to hold space for women and their partners in some of life’s most vulnerable moments. Transitions, including, but not limited to parenthood, can leave us feeling like strangers to ourselves. We can feel out of place or ashamed and cut off from everyone, but most especially from those who matter most. Julie is waiting to sit beside you, offering safety and acceptance while you rediscover your place in the community and relationships that matter to you. She is eager to help adults find ease and heal the echoes of past trauma by providing a safe, non-judgmental space to unpack it all. See the Individual Therapy and Pregnancy and Postpartum pages to learn more about how Julie can help.
- Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling student, Liberty University – Julie feels it important to note that although Liberty focuses on a Christian tradition, she is open to the truths of all traditions.
- Trained in Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy through the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Trained in Postpartum Mood and Anxiety Disorders through Postpartum Support Virginia
- Supervised by Rebecca Tedford, LCSW, PMH-C
- Bachelor of Arts, areas of emphasis in mothering and community – Evergreen State College
Julie sees clients on Wednesdays (daytime and evening), Thursday evenings, and Saturday mornings. To work with Julie, please contact us to schedule an appointment.
Evans Nexsen, Master’s in Counseling intern
Accepting private pay clients for individual and couple therapy
Evans approaches her work through the lens of attachment – how we cope in moments of disconnection with those we love the most – with empathy, cultural awareness, and validation around being a human. As a mother to young children, she understands the beauty and despair of parenthood. As a therapist, she understands the impact of our childhood experiences on how we show up in our adult relationships. Evans melds her experience and training to support individual adult and couples along the path of reconnecting with themselves and with those whom they love most. See the Individual Therapy and Couple Therapy pages to learn more about how Evans can help.
- Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling student, Northwestern University
- Trained in Emotionally Focused Individual and Couple Therapy through the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy (ICEEFT)
- Supervised by Rebecca Tedford, LCSW, PMH-C
- Bachelor of Art in Sociology – University of Virginia
Evans sees clients on Thursdays and Fridays. To work with Evans, please contact us to schedule an appointment.